Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Choosing your words

Though I know that there is no malice behind these words, they still sting in a way that I never expected.
I see and hear these words a lot, and I need to explain why they sting.
"Easton has always been cute, but his mouth looks awesome"
"Oh Easton looks SOOO good now that he has healed"
"He is so handsome now"
These are the sort of things people say.
I know! I know that they come from a kind, compassionate place. I know what is meant by these words but, listen to my side.
Our Easton was the most beautiful creature I've ever laid my eyes on. I never saw his cleft. It doesnt define him. He was a gorgeous, incredible creation of God.
There was nothing about him that was flawed. Total perfection from his head to his little toes. He was wondefully and beautifully made!
Having to change his appearance to improve his quality of life was and still is the hardest thing that we have ever had to do. Knowing that we were changing the mouth that God made for him, still breaks my heart. Never getting to see that original smile again. That God given, beautiful, big smile.
We did these surgeries because we love him, and we want him to live a life with the highest quality as possible.
NEVER was he "fixed" or "repaired" just because the surgery is called a repair, he was never broken.
His mouth has always been exceptionally beautiful.
Yes, he has healed well, our surgeon does outstanding work, and we are very proud.
But he was every bit as handsome BEFORE his surgeries as he is now.
Am I beings sensitive? Sure. But I have every right to be, dont you think?







1 comment:

karen hargrove said...

he is the most adorable kid ive ever seen i have never considered a cleft as broken.i have loved both his smiles as i see it he is a precious gift from go.hopefully one day we can meet.love you guys.