Sunday, May 22, 2011

Enchiladas and Papas--Katie style!

I like to experiement with food...sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesnt....well tonight it DID, and I wish I would have taken pictures to make this blog a lot more interesting...but alas, I did not...so here are my recipes.

First let me just say that I do not measure, I never follow a recipe (unless IM baking, I do use measuring tools for baking...therefore i dont bake very often...) SO there will be a lot of "pinch of this", "fist full of this"....they're just generalizations, if you have to have a set rcipe....my recipes are probably not for you :) Oh, also, this is just what I have on hand....lots of substitutions can be made...in fact I think I'll probably use shredded chicken in the enchiladas next time...also the veggies in the enchiladas are what i had too, and they're veggie Luke likes (besides the onion but I didnt put many in and cute them up really small)

Enchiladas:

Ground turkey
1 can green enchilada sauce -Mild
1 small can chopped green chilis
1/2 yellow onion
1 small zucchini
1 small yellow squash
Low Carb flour tortillas (6-8)
Shredded mexican blend cheeses

brown the meat and add the chopped onions, zucchini and squash until tender.
Add in 1/2 can of the green chilis....if you like spice then add the whole can (Lukes not a big fan of spice so I just added enough for the flavor) and stir in, then pour about 1/4 of the can of enchilada sauce in to the meat/veggie mix.
Spray a baking dish with cooking spray, and I always coat the bottom of the pan with a tiny bit of the enchilada sauce.
Take a flour tortilla (you can use corn tortillas too, make sure they're warm enough that they're flexible and will not break) put meat mixture down the middle, add a few fingers full of shredded cheese, roll up and place seam side down in the pan. continue until you either run outta room or out of mixture. THen sprinkle a fist full of cheese over the enchiladas (At this point I had extra meat mixture so I pour that  over the enchiladas at this point too) THen pour the rest of the can of sauce over them, finish it off with more shredded cheese and bake in over at 350 for about 20 minutes until its all melty and bubbly.


Papas

6-8 red potatoes
shredded cheese
sour cream
butter
1 can rotel tomatoes drained
salt & pepper

Rinse the potatoes then nuke them in a microwave safe plate until tender (I had 6 for 11 minutes, perfect)
whent they're soft thake them out and smash them up with the butter (about 2 spoons full), sour cream and salt and pepper, once mixed well add a fist full of shredded cheese. mix well then add about 1/2 the can of rotel (drained). I used 6 potatoes, and didnt want the them to be TOO tomato-y do I used a little over 1/3 of the can...

Mix all together and TADA! Mexican Papas!

I served this with corn & watermelon!

Well Luke LOVED this and it will definately be something I make again!

2 comments:

StephDC said...

this looks so good Katie!!

Katie said...

it was pretty darn tasty if I do say so myself! Luke finished his plate, and when I try to make new things that doesnt ALWAYS happen :)